Tuesday, February 17, 2009

WebQuests

I've been going over this for a while now. I have thoughts and ideas, but I always have a hard time simplifying and narrowing down what I want to do. I know this would be a great opportunity for my students to do something they may actually enjoy in the classroom. I don't think they'd believe it. Again, teachers are competing for the attention of their students. WebQuests are a great way to draw them in to the lesson. Students spend so much time playing on the computer, why not put them to work? (Without them knowing it.) Although, I think part of their problem is that adults are telling them to do it.(But that's a whole 'nother story. )

I've been thinking about things that I could possibly incorporate into the next month's lesson plans for my student teaching. We'll be going over Women's Suffrage and the Great Depression. I suppose that is step #1. I have an idea of where I want to begin. The rest of it may be harder than I thought. Although, this extension is definitely helping. Thanks, Dr. Luongo! :)

4 comments:

  1. Diana,

    I was thinking of your webquest ideas, two great ideas. What if you make the project of your webquest to be for the students to pretend they are an activist during the women's suffrage, trying to secure the right to vote for women. You could have them create a persuasive essay or persuasive pamphlet arguing the point.

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica had a great idea!

    You could have them in teams where one side takes the pro and the other side takes the con and they have to prove it using facts and data from the Web.

    Thanks for posting and being so creative...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas! I was also thinking that a picture is worth a thousand words and I was thinking about having students find a picture from the Great Depression online and writing a story from the perspective of the person in the photo about what s/he is going through at the time---or have them research that either Internet or first hand accounts from grandparents or great grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taran...
    That's an awesome idea!!! Thank you so much! :) I hadn't thought about that!

    I appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete