Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Lesson Planning

As I was working on my technology infused lesson plan, I realized the problem. As adults, we get so excited about the topic and we know there's a lot to cover in any given subject. This happens even moreso when we get excited about the things that we teach our students. The problem then happens - what do we leave out? I think lesson planning can be such an easy task since we know what we have to include and that we need to assess at the end. But, what do we include? I think, as teachers, we want our students to get something out of the lessons and we want specific things to be included, it's difficult to simplify. That has always been my problem. I have a hard time simplifying things and thus, make the task more difficult than it should be.

So, when lesson planning, I would like for us to remember a phrase that someone [i dont know who] said, "Keep it simple!" We make our lives difficult at times, and make it difficult for our students. And, I'm not saying that we "dumb down" our material, but don't over complicate your job. :) I must say, that's what I had to do when writing up a lesson plan for something I had already done! :) Hope it helps! :)

4 comments:

  1. I agree. I think people in general can sometimes disect a simple task and make it into a complicated one. I am not a teacher and have never done a lesson plan before. For me, the task was a bit more difficult. Once I started, it bascially developed itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with as well with you strategy for lesson planning. I always try to make sure the essentials are covered and then I fill in the gaps with the things that make the lesson exciting or different each time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eddie's reply is perfect.

    What I think is develop the following:
    Objective (what do I want my students to achieve?) >>>Assessment (How will I knwo they achieved it?) >>>Procedures (How will I get there??)

    The rest needs to be added after those are created.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happened to agree with Eddie And Dr Luongo! Yes we should not complicate things and keep them simple. But when it relates to lesson planning I need to remind myself that the main objective of a lesson plan is so I do not not stand in front of my students and not be ready to teach. There is no such thing as to "wing it" or " fake it until you make it" If we are to be sucessful in the classroom and have good classroom management it is very crucial that we have detailed lesson plans, It is better to be more prepared than less.

    ReplyDelete