Sunday, April 5, 2009

Gossip Girls and Boys Get Lessons in Empathy



This was an interesting read on the NY Times (published on April 4, 2009). There's a greater emphasis these days on character education as it has been infused in to the standards. There are so many things going on this world. It does make sense to do this. It is good to start early. Yes, you can't tell kids who to be friends with, but you can teach them how to be nicer and more understanding of each others differences. Just the other day, there were two fights at school - one right after the other. (I'm not sure for what.) It was rumored that the young man had prepared by holding a lock in his hands (later clarified to be a watch.) Earlier that same day, a girl in my class was called out for Mediation Group - she was having issues with another young lady in the school. A few days before that, there were two girls in the cafeteria that began yelling at each other. It's nothing new. Yet, it seems that it wont completely go away. This is a good start. Kids can be so cruel. (Well, some.) Hopefully, this will help produce productive participants of society.

Again, just thought I'd share. :) Enjoy. :)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing.

    It is so difficult to promote citizenship and friendship. However, it is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the same article. I agree that it's near impossible to tear down the structures of bullying that are so common in our schools. I think it great that the initiative described in the NYT article are being introduced at the middle school level and even earlier. I wonder if the new school models described in the Carroll article would have any effect on the social challenges faced by students in the school setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pretty solid read. I applaud the attempt by educators in not only taking a role educating our learners, but also proactively taking on a more active role in our learners' lives in general.

    That said however, I am still of the belief that good behavior, respect for others, and other good traits that make us productive citizens must begin at home.

    As a parent, I try to lay the foundation that my sons will follow. I often remain them: "For every action, there is a consequence".

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron...I definitely agree. It does begin at home. Some children, unfortunately, do not have that at home. Someone has to do it. And, the attempt is now there.

    Thanks for your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete