Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Schools Try Separating Boys From Girls



(image taken from NYTimes website 3/10/2009)

I heard about this a while ago and stumbled upon it again on the NY Times website. To everything there are pros and cons. It is very true that girls and boys learn differently and at different paces. Although, learning together is part of their development process. This is not to say that I agree or disagree with separating them. I wanted to put it out there and share it. If you want to comment back, that's fine and appreciated. Again, something to think about. :)

3 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting topic to me in part because I have been trying to get a better understanding of the 8th graders I teach, both boys and girls. Michael Gurian has written a book titled "Boys and Girls Learn Differently". It talks about both the physiological as well as the psychological reasons behind differences (and similarities). I found it interesting and perhaps you will too. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps, I'll check out that book. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea, I always thought class rooms should be single-sex, even if a school is co-ed, especially in high school. I went to an all boys high school and I can honestly say that it made a huge difference in my life. When you are in a room like that nothing matters except the lesson.

    ReplyDelete